We traded “Helga” in on “Thunder Cat” on 4/12/2016. We have 2 years of fantastic memories with Helga, we look forward to making new memories in Thunder Cat now.
We purchased on 3/29/2014 from Elk River RV, took delivery on 4/4/2014, they were professional, friendly, and took the time to do a proper “delivery inspection/training session” with us going over all we would need to know. We later needed some warranty work for a small roof leak, and some fit/finish issues that popped up over our first summer with it, and Elk River RV was VERY friendly and easy to deal with for service as well, we also had them winterize it, we wanted to be sure winterizing was all done right for our first year.
Camping with all the important amenities of home:
- Two-way 110v/LP Refrigerator w/freezer (3ft³ Dometic automatic)
- LP stove top (currently match light, plan to mod with BBQ igniter button)
- Microwave (110v shore-power only)
- A/C (110v only) & Heat (LP with 12v fan)
- Bathroom, complete with shower!
- 25Gallon fresh water tank
- 25Gallon “gray” tank
- 25Gallon “black” tank
- 6Gallon water heater
- “Full” size bed (plan to upgrade the mattress to memory foam!)
We are setup with a Reese weight distributing hitch with a friction sway control arm, and a Tekonsha P3 trailer brake controller. Since we upgraded tow vehicles we have not needed to use the sway control arm since the truck is so much heavier and longer than the Jeep it can keep it under control with ease, but we still carry it just in case we hit some strong winds.
Mods to the trailer thus far:
- Upgraded interior lighting to LED “panel” type lights.
- 15″ 720P Craig 12v TV on cantilever mount.
- 85 Watt 24 volt “SoloPower” flexible panel feeding an “EPSolar” 20amp MPPT charge controller which (for now) feeds the factory 60ah battery. Here is a link to my Solar install page.
- Upgraded Vortex Exhaust fan and Camco vent cover for better ventilation even in the pouring rain.
Coachmen Viking site / Coachmen Viking brochure
Tow Vehicle is Our 2005 Chevy Duramax 2500HD